PKD stands for polycystic kidney disease, which is genetic damage to the kidneys. It gets passed to the child from any or both of his/her affected parents. In this condition, a throng of cysts grows in the kidneys and leads to kidney failure. Despite the race, gender, age, and ethnicity, PKD affects the whole population equally. Generally, PKD is divided into two types, the autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease and the autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease. Autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease is the common type of PKD affecting millions of people all around the world. Moreover, autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease is a rare type, mostly affecting children one in thousands.
The size of the kidneys in polycystic kidney disease is larger than the normal size, which is the size of the fist. The number and size of the cysts differ from each other. Cysts in the kidneys are the primary and very first sign of PKD. However, many other symptoms can show up in other parts of the body. The cysts in kidneys may be painful and get infected if left untreated or neglected for long. PKD prognosis and Ayurvedic treatment to it is what can help a person in preventing the disease from progression. Let us read more about it.
Diagnosis of PKD
After a person notices PKD’s symptoms, it becomes easy to diagnose him or her. Also, the diagnosis of PKD is made only after the symptom began to show up. The risk of any disease related to kidneys or any symptom of PKD can be identified with the help of ultrasound exams. It uses sound waves for the picture creation of the organs that help in the detection of cysts in kidneys. Furthermore, CT (computerized tomography) scan also helps in diagnosing kidney cysts.
The diagnosis of kidney cysts is also possible in an unborn baby. It is done with the help of a test known as amniocentesis. A small amount of amniotic fluid is needed for this test, which is obtained from the mother’s womb. Chorionic villus sampling is another test that helps in the diagnosis of PKD in an unborn kid.
Also, if any of your parents have a cyst problem, then go to the doctor for an ultrasound exam without any delay.
PKD prognosis and diagnosis help to know the disease while Ayurvedic treatment helps in curing it.
Prognosis of PKD
Prognosis of PKD means the forecast of the condition happening within the kidneys. The gradual development of cysts takes place in the patients suffering from ADPKD. Kidneys began to expand and the GFR stays at normal before the progressive deterioration of the kidneys. All these factors help in the early detection of the condition. Tests like TKV and HtTKV are used for early detection. Apart from this, eGFR also helps in the same.
PKD prognosis Ayurvedic treatment suggests that all these abnormalities can be fixed with the help of nature and its therapeutical values.
Treatment of PKD
The process of treatment of a disease like PKD starts from early prevention. According to Ayurveda, the first step is to prevent the condition and then further measures should be taken.
PKD Ayurvedic treatment includes these steps for the prevention and further progression of the disease.
- Make a diet plan for yourself and keep in mind to keep it low in fat and salt.
- Go for a timely checkup for blood pressure and avoid circumstances that can affect your blood pressure in any manner.
- Do not skip on the prescribed medicines.
- Maintain the right weight.
- Do not smoke.
- Do not consume alcohol.
- Exercise daily.
- Do not do drug abuse.
- Maintain a good sugar level.
Apart from these measures and PKD prognosis, Ayurvedic treatment for the disease contains a lot more such as food items that help in curing PKD. Mentioned below is the list of food items that help in PKD prevention.
- Cabbage – The extraordinary qualities of cabbage helps in curing PKD. The phytochemicals and antioxidants properties of this vegetable help in preventing the loss caused by free radicals. Cabbage is a rich source of Vitamin C and Vitamin B6.
- Olive oil – Olive oil is phosphorus less food and a good source of fat. This oil has monounsaturated fat that helps in the reduction of oxidants from the body. Also, it has anti-inflammatory properties.
- Apple – Apple helps in controlling the body cholesterol level and prevents constipation. It brings down the risk of cancer.
- Garlic – Garlic is rich in medicinal qualities. The diuretic property of this herb improves kidneys’ health. It regulates blood pressure and high cholesterol.
- Red bell peppers – One of the common and effective PKD Ayurvedic treatment is red bell pepper as they have low potassium. It has a high content of Vitamin C, Vitamin A, and Vitamin B6. Moreover, it is rich in folic acid, and fiber which makes it a suitable consumption for PKD.