The shortage of sanitizers in the market came into existence amid COVID-19. The world is dealing with a pandemic situation. The World Health Organisation (WHO) has issued guidelines for the prevention, one guideline is to wash your hands properly for twenty seconds and if it is somehow not possible then sanitize your hands. The need for hand sanitizers has developed all of a sudden as soon as the news came out being it as a safeguard. But what if you don’t find any?
By now, we all are aware of the fact that the market is running out of orders and those who have sanitizers, they are selling with overpriced amounts. If you have not stocked up then you better know how to make your own hand sanitizer. The demand for alcohol-based sanitizers is increasing but the retailers are all short of it. As per the guidelines of Centers for disease control and prevention (CDC) trusted source, during the outbreak of coronavirus, people should use only those sanitizers that have 60% alcohol content. Observing the scenario, Karma Ayurveda health has brought you steps to make your own hand sanitizer with just three ingredients.
Before we start with the subject, here is something important you should know:
In a recent statement released by one of the reputed doctors of India, it is advised to use hand sanitizers only when you are out of resources (water and soap). Hand sanitizers are intended to be used by healthcare professionals. If you are making it on your own, make sure to prepare it under the supervision of an elderly person or a professional only.
You should also be careful while using the homemade sanitizer on children’s skin. If you are using it then make sure it is an extreme situation where you do not have an alternative. Also, excessive use of alcohol-based sanitizer can cause dehydration so, be wise while using it.
What you will need to make hand sanitizer at home:
- Rubbing alcohol or isopropyl
- Fresh Aloe Vera
- Your choice of essential oil (Lemongrass oil, lavender oil, tea tree oil, etc.)
- Lemon juice
- Strawberry extract (Optional)
There is a thing in the number of persons that adding a little extra amount of something that will improve the quality. It is a myth. Excessive presence of anything can be injurious to your health. Similarly, you should not add any ingredient listed above more than a 2:1 ratio (Alcohol: Aloe Vera). This ratio helps in maintaining an adequate amount of alcohol in the sanitizer. The need for alcohol is just to kill the germs and viruses that may get surface on our hands.
How to prepare it?
The guidelines provided by the professor of Health science of Ball State University, Jagdish Khubchandani; you will need to follow these steps:
Make sure to have a hygienic space where you have planned to prepare hand sanitizer. Bleach the area before setting up.
- Wash your hands thoroughly before making the hand sanitizer.
- For mixing, use only a clean and germs-free spoon and whisk.
- Make sure the alcohol is non-diluted.
- Do not start the preparation without wearing gloves.
- Make sure to mix in all the ingredients carefully and they are blended very well.
- Do not use or test it before the mixture is ready for use.
According to the World Health Organisation (WHO), larger batches of hand sanitizers are made with:
- Isopropyl alcohol or ethanol
- Hydrogen peroxide
- Sterile distilled or boiled cold water
How to prepare it?
- Mix ethanol and Glycerol in a 2:1 ratio.
- Add the rest of the ingredients in the same ratio of glycerol and mix it well.
- Do not leave the mixture open or else the sanitizer will get vanished in no time.
You can prepare hand sanitizer at home in large amounts. Glycerol is an ingredient that prevents hands from drying and itchy to balance the equation of alcohol. If you cannot find Glycerol then you can leave it but make sure to prepare the sanitizer in the directed way only. After using sanitizer, apply moisturizer to keep your hands soft and moisturized.
How to use the homemade sanitizer?
You can use the sanitizer as any other but you will have to be careful with the following tips:
- Continue rubbing your hands till the last droplet vanishes from your hand.
- Wash your hands if they are oily, greasy or dirty. The sanitizer wouldn’t be of any use with the dirt on.
- Spray or put two drops of homemade sanitizer on your palm and rub gently.
- Rub the homemade sanitizer through your fingers and at the back of your hand.
Can this homemade sanitizer kill germs?
According to the guidelines stated by CDC, alcohol present in the sanitizer prevents and kills the microbes on the surface. It has shown proven results of killing the virus that may cause SARS in the future.
The bottom line:
The outbreak of coronavirus has made people go panic buying and the market has gone all out of sanitizers manufactured by the company suddenly. Though you can prepare homemade sanitizer in two ways but you should use it only when you have no option of washing hands. Also, use it the minimum times as too much usage can affect the health of an individual’s nervous system badly.
Once you begin with the preparations of making sanitizer at home, make sure to follow the guidelines provided by Karma Ayurveda health above in this piece of content.